Sunday, April 28, 2013

Still-Life Series

After painting quite a few landscapes, I like to change it up a bit by painting still lifes. Usually one still life idea will lead to another. This month, I also happened to teach a still life class on Wednesday evenings and a class in pastel at the Frederick Meijer Gardens. My Wednesday class consisted of both pastel and oil painting students. The demos were alternated with the mediums.
"Blue Bottle, Pear and Clementine, pastel, 6x6
In one class we did a still life with an object and a clementine. This was my example for the pastel students.

"Clementines and Blue Vase", oil, 6x6
The example for the oil students using a clementine with a contrasting background.

"Melon Slice and Pear", oil, 6x6
We had a still life with a pear and strawberry. I did not use the melon in the student still life. After painting it myself, I decided it was kind of advanced. The pear was a challenge enough!

demo in pastel, half finished. 6x6

Demo for the Pear and Strawberry still life in oil. 6x6

No comments: