Monday, April 29, 2013

Painting with a Theme

During last two weeks, I have not only been painting still lifes but also following a "wine" or "grape" theme. I did two pastels and several oils with this theme and the paintings will be entered into an exhibit called "Grape Expectations" for this summer in Leland, MI. I hope you enjoy my interpretations!
"Cabernet", oil on panel, 7x5
The first "study" as I was thinking about doing a larger still life with the bottle and glass of wine, see the next painting.

Untitled right now, oil on panel, 12x12

"Ready for Harvest",  or Pinot Noir... undecided on the title. 
Pastel, 18x12
From a reference photo that I took during a plein air session at  Silver Tree Winery in Suttons Bay, MI.

"Vineyard by the Bay", pastel, 16x20
This pastel is an example of using a plein air study and a photo of the vines going in the other direction. So basically, I used both reference to make this painting.

2 comments:

gene sampson said...

I love your still lifes, Kathy.
Every one is nicer than the other one. How can that be???

hmuxo said...

Congratulations on these paintings, Kathleen. I love them all!!