Sunday, November 29, 2009

Gray Day with Warm Color


Douglas Marina, oil/panel, 9x12, 10/09

This painting is featured on my November Newsletter so I thought I could tell the story behind it. I drove to Saugatuck/Douglas area with the intent of meeting my friend Margo there to paint in the dunes at Oval Beach. My friend had car trouble on her way and had to turn back so I continued on as I was close anyway. I did not want to waste a good day for painting! The weather forecast was for an unusually warm October day with some sun. Well, the sun really never came out and I didn't think it was too warm either at least in Douglas. Not wanting to paint in the dunes by myself, I chose a spot in the Marina. Painting there in the off season was ideal - no people, just geese. One even posed for me. I was taken with the warm colors against the foggy sky and gray/blue water. The boats in the distance just needed to be indicated with lines of color. Overall I was happy with my painting and was able to explore the dunes a little too. That will be another painting...

No comments: