Sunday, March 17, 2013

Carnations

This weekend I had the opportunity to participate in the Grand Rapids Art Museum's event called "Art in Bloom". The event was originally geared for floral designers to create a floral sculpture inspired by a work of art in the museum. In the last three years, they also have invited four "plein air" artists to set up a still life in the museum and paint while the guests meandered and voted on their favorite floral design. This year we painted for three hours on Saturday. I decided to keep it simple so I could finish my painting during that time. I choose to paint carnations and had the idea to paint them laying on the table in a simple arrangement. It wasn't as easy to arrange them as I thought it would be, but stuck to my initial concept. The painting surface is the same as the painting in the last blog, an 8x12 oil primed linen mounted on a birch panel. I am happy with the result.
Carnations, oil on linen panel, 8x16, $850. framed
at the museum

2 comments:

gene sampson said...

Kathy, this looks very nice. I was going to plan on coming downtown to watch you and the other artists paint, but something else came up. The arrangement looks great like that. Congratulations.

Kathleen Kalinowski, PSA said...

Thanks Gene, thanks for thinking of me and Marianna! We had a good time painting!