Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Spring Breezes

Last week I went to back to paint at the farm that I had visited last fall. I remembered a few good spots and wondered how it would look with the orchard blossoms. The farm sits on one of the highest points in Ottawa County and on a clear day you can see Lake Michigan and the dunes. It is also very windy most of the time and that morning was no exception. I quickly painted my two pieces, hanging on to the easel from time to time so it would not blow over. The spot with the pond was the first painting that I started. As I was painting though, I kept turning around to see this incredible sky and the back lit orchard trees. I put the pond painting away after I got a good start and proceeded to paint the other scene. This is not the normal way that I work, but sometimes you have to try to catch those moments as they happen. After battling the wind, the paintings were finished and I was really glad to be back in the warm car but am happy that I took the chance to go back to this beautiful place.
Cherry Orchard Reflections, oil, 8x10

Cherry Orchard and May Skies, oil, 8x10

No comments: