Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Capturing the Essence of Spring

"Red Barns and Orchard", oil, 12x16
I am always looking for the essence of the current season and trying to take advantage of the motifs that help communicate it in a painting. I sometimes paint at the same location off and on throughout the years, finding that there is always a new way to see what is there. "Creek in May" is one of those spots that I really love in the month of May. I had to change the scene slightly by moving the red bud tree and lowering it a bit like I remember it a few years ago, but the essence of the scene is the same as you see it in the painting.
I was looking forward this spring to painting "Red Barns and Orchard". I was in almost the same spot last fall painting the pumpkin field in the foreground, in front of the apple trees.
"Creek in May", oil on linen panel, 14x11

No comments: