Monday, March 7, 2011

Inspiring View

"Inspiring View", pastel, 18x24, Button-Petter Gallery, $1500.
"View from the Top", oil on panel, 8x10, plein air study, $500. framed

In this post, I thought I would share my "inspiration"for my recent pastel painting, "Inspiring View". As many of you Michiganders know, the Michigan Great Lakes and shoreline scenes can be quite spectacular. I painted this little study on site in the Nordhouse Dunes area in the Manistee National Forest. Morning here is the best time to capture the dune shadows that add that element of contrast and interest to a scene consisting of sand, grasses and water. I also photographed the area, but the real help when doing the studio painting was my plein air study. I am happy to say that the resulting studio pastel painting will be at the Button-Petter Gallery for the season kickoff reception, April 17 from 1-5pm, along with more new work. Hope to see you there!

No comments: