Sunday, February 27, 2011

Snowy Days

"Snow Boughs-Almost Noon", oil, 7x5 NFS
It had just finished snowing, and the sun was shining. I was in the mood to paint those bright blue shadows so I decided to just look out my studio window and paint a snow laden pine that just seemed to glow in the late morning sun. I thought I would try my new 5x7 Ampersand Gesso panels and just give it a go. The overall shape of the tree was lightly brushed in, the trunk indicated and some of the dark green placed. The most fun was the shape of the snow on the branches and trying to vary the shadow colors between warm and cool shades of blue and violet.
I had such fun with the first one, that I decided to do another as the sun went further west, the tree was still luminous.
"Snow Boughs-Afternoon", oil, 7x5 NFS

No comments: