Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February Plein air paintings

"Around the Bend", oil on panel, 6x6
"February Thaw", oil on linen panel, 11x14

These two paintings were painted last week when the temperatures were around 40 degrees.  The snow was beginning to thaw and since I was short on time I decided against driving around until I found a spot. I went back to "Lonnie's Farm" a place where I have done a number of plein air paintings in all seasons. I changed the frozen pond in front to look like tracks...a good way for the eye to enter the painting. As usual, since I love red this place is a favorite place to paint.

Another day last week when the morning was crisp, I came across the scene featured on top and decided to do a small 6x6 study. The red house at the bend in the road was a nice focal point.

No comments: