Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Road to Home

In this post I would like to show how two plein air studies along with several reference photos aided in the studio painting "Road to Home". I did the studies several weeks ago, not far from my home, and decided right away to do a larger painting from that experience. Study one:
"Poplars and Sumac", oil on linen panel, 10x8, $500. framed







Study number two on the same morning:

"On the Way Home", oil on linen panel, 8x10, $500. framed



In the studio I set up these studies and photographs up together, and did a small composition sketch. My canvas was 24x36 so I wanted to be sure the composition would work in that format.

This is a photo of my set up and partially finished work. You can see the sketchy underpainting on the bottom half.

The finished painting:


"Road to Home", oil, 24x36, $3000. framed

No comments: