Monday, October 11, 2010

Paintout at a Farm

This past weekend continued with the beautiful painting weather for the Plein Air Artists of West Michigan to meet at a local farm to paint. I chose to paint the fresh produce building with the morning shadows cast from the 80 year old cherry trees. The most difficult part was the color of the building with the shadows so I tackled that first before the sun changed everything. I also wanted the shadows cast from the trees on the road to connect the shapes and create a lead in for the viewers eye to travel throughout the composition.
"Farm Market - Morning", oil on linen panel, 9x12
After a short break I drove towards the back of the property to find another subject and came across a recently cut cornfield. Last year I painted here when the corn stood tall and could not see the farm in the distance. I also liked the tree line that cast a purple shadow across the field. Beautiful atmosphere!

"Distant Farm in Morning", oil on linen panel, 8x10.

All paintings copyrighted by Kathleen Kalinowski, 2010.

No comments: