Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Orchard Hill


Today was a beautiful day for plein air painting. This is my start for the first painting of the day. I am painting on a linen, oil primed canvas mounted on gatorboard, made by Signature Canvas. I like their products! It is 11x14. I used a light wash to mass in the big shapes of the composition.

This second photo was taken after I painted in the sky with mixtures of cobalt blue, white, cad. yellow light and yellow ochre. I also started on the tops of the background trees.

I finished the painting, and it was a good thing because it was about noon and the sun had changed the shadows. I will post a better photo of the finished painting tomorrow. I also worked on a 9x12 painting of the same orchard which I will post in a few days. Tomorrow may be another day for painting outside so I will head back to the orchards before the blossoms are gone!

No comments: