Thursday, March 4, 2010

March Thaw

Creek in March, oil/linen panel, 14x11
I had to get out to paint today...no excuses...the weather was sunny and warming up. I have been painting outside this winter more than ever before! I think for once I am going to miss the snow. It will be gone soon, maybe even after this weekend. I went to the creek near North Division. It is the same creek that flows behind my childhood home, we called it Strawberry Creek, though I am not sure if that is the "official name". When I was a child, I played in the creek and in the woods most of every summer with my friends, so I have always had a fondness for small streams. Today I just had to enjoy the babbling sound, the bright sun and beautiful shadows cast from the trees on the snow. I added a few new colors to my palette, raw sienna and turquoise. I think that added just the right punch for a painting that could have been mostly earthy colors. I may have to try this one with pastel!

No comments: