Saturday, February 20, 2010

Winter Beauty

Winter Beauty, oil/linen panel, 12x9

Last Thursday we had a mild day, mostly sunny, so I again traveled to Townsend Park. This is the same location that I painted at previously but with a slightly different view and a beautiful composition. I loved the colors of the twigs and grasses against the whites and blues of the snow. This plein air study will definitely be used as reference for a larger studio painting.









Birches in Winter, oil/linen panel, 10x8

I worked on this painting the same day, just having to pick up my easel and move it to the right. The sun was highlighting the birch tree cluster and the shadows with the cattail stalks made for an interesting foreground. It was a challenge to paint the tree covered hillside behind the birches. This small image of the painting really does not convey the subtle variations that I tried so hard to convey.

No comments: