Saturday, May 18, 2013

Orchard Blossoms II

  The weather here has finally turned and we had beautiful weather for plein air painting this past week! I was able to paint in the orchards three times this week and hopefully again next week unless the forecasted rain puts and end to them.

   With each orchard painting, I felt like I was improving. Painting trees with white blossoms is more difficult than it seems. The trees are a slightly darker value than the blue morning sky. The core of the tree is a darker value than the sunlit grass on a flat plane of ground. The white blossoms are really not white but should appear so in the painting. I used cool and warm tints.
Apple Orchard Reflections, oil, 8x10, $250 unframed
The subject of an orchard and reflections in a pond. The tree on the right was not so pretty, so I used my artistic license and substituted another.

 Another morning, I tackled this difficult subject of a back lit orchard. 
The corner of an apple orchard, backlit in the morning light.

The start of my blocking in the large masses. I was working on the  apple tree masses when I took this photo, trying to figure out the right tone.

Apple Orchard - May, oil, 11x14, $400 uf

This study will translate well into a pastel painting!

Thank you for viewing my paintings! Please contact me if you are interested.
To see more plein air work see my website: www.KalinowskiFineArt.com

3 comments:

gene sampson said...

Both are so lovely, Kathleen. You are so right about painting white! I really struggle with that, but you handled it beautifully. Congratulations on Festival and Muskegon shows!

hmuxo said...

Beautiful paintings, Kathleen.!

Renato Prado said...

Belíssimo trabalho, meu parabéns..Não poderia deixar de parabenizá-la por esse magnífico trabalho. Também faço alguns desenhos realistas, caso queira dar uma olhada http://renatoprado-desenhos.blogspot.com
grande abraço
Atenciosamente
Renato Prado