Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Reworked Pastels

Sometimes a painting just tells you that something needs to be changed. I unframed several paintings like that. I liked the pastels paintings, in general, but knew in my heart that they could have been a little better. The older versions are still on my web site and will be switched over around the first of November when I do my web site changes.
Looking East, pastel, 24x30. $2300. framed 
This pastel only received slight changes. I added the tracks in the road,  and broke up the road shadows. The trees were improved and the distant field and road grayed down. Overall, I like this painting even if I am the only one who notices the changes. A word of wisdom that applies here is "never leave something in a painting that does not work."

Pond Reflections-Autumn, pastel, 18x24, $1500. framed
OK, I changed the name. It was "Glorious", which was appropriate, but kind of short and not descriptive of the whole painting. The original work was painted in 2009, so I have had this painting for a little while and it had not found a home. Overall, I think the stream did not read well as a stream because it lacked the needed reflections. I am very happy with these recent changes of the reflections and some implied detail along the water's edge.

No comments: