Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Three Paintings - One Place


Cedar Creek - Sanctuary, oil, 16x12, plein air, 2009

Painted on site at the Gemrich Farm, a Conservation Easement, with the Plein Air Artists of West Michigan, in October of 2009. I was standing on a wooden bridge that crosses Cedar Creek and the view looking either way was spectacular. It was hard to decide where to look with all the beautiful colors, so I had to be selective.

I used this plein air oil along with some reference photos to complete the next two paintings.


Cedar Creek - Sanctuary II, pastel, 12x18, 2010

Looking the other direction from the bridge, this view has a different feeling with good depth.


October Beauty, oil, 18x24, 2009

I loved the way the early sun cast a shadow across the lower half of the composition. I used the plein air study to help with the values and used the photos to make a larger composition.

No comments: