Sunday, May 15, 2011

Blossoms and Bees

Pear Orchard, oil on linen panel, 8x10, $500. framed

Blossoms and Bees, oil on linen panel, 8x10, $500. framed
The warm weather has me outside painting on a regular basis...when it isn't raining. We have had our share of rainy weather lately. So when it rains I work in the studio.
I always look forward to painting the fruit trees in blossom and there are some wonderful orchards near my home. I so admire the farmers and their dedication and love of working the land. Some orchards are changing as the owners decide to take out the old trees and substitute young new, more efficient varieties of trees. This kind of makes me sad because the knarled old trees have so much character. As I paint in the orchards, I imagine the history behind the tree, how old it is and how much fruit it must have produced through the years for us to enjoy. The pear orchard is over 60 years old and I am sure the orchard has been in the same family for that long as well.

No comments: